African Peanut Soup
Write a review
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves or more of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped into I/2 inch pieces
- 1 can (800 ml) diced tomatoes, with their juices
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup of peanut butter (natural)
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper powder
- 1 can (400 g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 handfuls destemmed torn kale leaves
- fresh parsley, for serving
- roasted peanuts, for serving
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the bell pepper, sweet potato, and tomatoes with their juices. Raise the heat to medium-high and simmer for 5 minutes more. Season the vegetables with salt and black pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the peanut butter and 1 cup of the vegetable broth until no clumps remain. Stir the mixture into the vegetables along with the remaining 3 cups of broth, chili and red pepper powder.
- Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10-20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is fork-tender.
- Stir in the chickpeas and kale and cook until leaves are wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the stew into bowls and garnish with fresh parsley and roasted peanuts.
Petra Kavšek The Foodie http://www.petrakavsek.com/